Wednesday 6 October 2010

Juan Miceli - Art as a way of living






- Can you tell us something about yourself? When did you discover your passion for art?
I have made myself as artist and since I did not study strictly art but design, I have joined art in my own way. As artist I try not to confine myself to just one discipline. Though my main artistic production is sculpture and installation, I am also a performer and really love to make street artistic interventions. Last year I have also started to exhibit my works as photographer and making collective performances with other artists. Each day I am more convinced that art is a way of living and that you can find art in almost anything. Right now I am working on a performance and photo register of my sessions with my dentist which is call “the crowning”. The fact of facing something annoying (and painful) as going to the dentist in an artistic way transformed in a radically positive way such an experience. I discover my passion when I was a child trough drawing and sculpting, but it wasn’t until I was almost 30 years old that I decided to take it seriously. Besides my work as art director and stylist for TV commercials and featured films took me away from art for a while.

- How do you create your works?
I am not a rational artist at all. I do not make sketches I just simply follow the wisdom of materials to create my sculptures and I work in a really instinctive way. Right now I am working with animal bones and teeth and I let those materials guide the creative path. It is true that I have an obsession with the mixing of animal species with both human forms and technology and with the use of discarded stuff. This use of trash is a genuine political stand. As South American artist I firmly believe in my poor art manifesto that consists in the using of discarded things exclusively. Last but not least, I am still wondered by this strange animal we are, capable of construct, of using tools, of speaking and with the great power of invent and destroy worlds. During my Hotel Frenesí (Frenzy Hotel) exhibit a couple was looking at my self-portrait called The Motor-Maker made of recycled aluminum, toys, nylon and human teeth. I heard the man say “This is monster”. Then I thought: aren’t we all?

- What are your main sources of inspirations?
I think the ocean is my main source of inspiration, but also time (which is also tide) and the dehumanization of our culture and above all the fantastic sensation that we can transform the world trough art. Maybe this idea of transformation is just an illusion but I will die trying to transform the world trough art.

- What is art for you?
As I‘ve said before, for me art is a way of living and fighting and questioning our culture. I could start my statement by saying “I am really interested in questioning the way we are as culture and individuals” but the fact is that I can’t help doing so. As time goes by I am more convinced that it is not a question of interest as I believe art is a force that just takes you. And this has nothing to do with paranormal events. It is just the way I feel it and I have found out art is my own way of fighting time.

- Ci puoi raccontare qualcosa su di te? Quando hai scoperto la tua passione per l’arte?
Ho fatto di me stesso un artista anche se ho studiato design invece di arte, mi sono unito all’arte a modo mio. Come artista cerco di non confinarmi in un’unica disciplina. Nonostante la mia principale produzione artistica sia composta da sculture e istallazioni, sono anche un performer e mi piace molto cimentarmi nella street art. L’anno scorso ho iniziato anche a fare delle mostre in cui proponevo alcune fotografie e a fare delle performance collettive con altri artisiti. Ogni giorno di più mi convinco che l’arte sia un modo di vivere e che sia possible trovarla in ogni cosa. Al momento sto lavorando sulla performance e sulla serie di foto di una mia seduta dentistica. L’idea è di trasformare qualcosa di fastidioso e (doloroso) come andare dal dentista in qualcosa di positivo, con l’aiuto dell’arte. La mia passione per l’arte è nata quando ero bambino attraverso la scultura e il disegno, ma solo a trent’anni ho deciso di prenderla seriamente. Nonostante il mio lavoro come direttore artistico e stilista per TV e film mi porti per certi periodi lontano dall’arte.

- Come crei I tuoi lavori?
Non sono per niente un artista razionale. Non faccio schizzi, ma semplicemente seguo la saggezza dei materiali per creare le mie sculture e lavoro in modo molto istintivo. In questo periodo sto utilizzando ossa e denti di animali e lascio che siano questi materiali a guidare il percorso creativo. È vero che ho un’ossessione per combinare specie animali con forme umane e tecnologiche utilizzando materiali di recupero. L’uso della spazzatura è una vera e propria presa di posizione. Come artista Sud Americano credo fermamente che la mia arte possa essere usata come manifesto, per questo utilizzo esclusivamente materiali di scarto. Infine, anche se non meno importante, mi sto ancora interrogando sull’uomo, animale strano, capace di creare cose, usare strumenti, di parlare e con il grande potere di inventare e distruggere il mondo. Durante la mia mostra al Frenzy Hotel una coppia stava guardando al mio autoritratto chiamato The Motor-Maker fatto di alluminio reciclato, giocattoli, nylon e denti umani. Ho sentito l’uomo dire “questo è un mostro!”, così ho pensato “non lo siamo tutti?”

- Quali sono le tue principali fonti d’ispirazione?
Penso che l’oceano sia la mia principale fonte d’ispirazione, ma anche il tempo e la “disumanizzazione” della nostra cultura e soprattutto la sensazione fantastica che possiamo cambiare il mondo attraverso l’arte. Magari è solo un’illusione, ma morirò continuando a provare a trasformare il mondo attraverso l’arte.

- Cos’è l’arte per te?
Come ho detto prima, per me l’arte è un modo di vivere, di combattere e di interrogarmi sulla nostra cultura. Potrei iniziare dicendo “sono molto interessato a scoprire il nostro modo di essere come cultura e come individui”, ma questo non aiuta. Più il tempo passa, più mi convinco che non è una questione di interesse, l’arte è una forza che ti prende e basta. E questo non ha nulla a che fare con eventi parnormali. Questo è come la vedo e ho scoperto che l’arte è il mio modo di combattere il tempo.

Related links
http://www.juanmiceli.com.ar/
www.artselector.com/collection/juanmiceli
http://www.all-nylon.blogspot.com/
All the images posted here are Juan Miceli’s works.






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...