Monday 12 April 2010

Mikko Sinervo interview - Between light and perceptions








Hi everyone! I have a new interview! The artist is Mikko Sinervo based in Helsinki, where he was born in 1981. In particular I asked him questions about his series “Afterimages”(here there are posted some images taken from the series personally chosen by the artist). These works caught my attention for the colours combination that at the beginning gave me the impression of move in circle inside the canvas.

-Where does the idea of the series come from?
-The whole series is based on the afterimage that sun had left on my retina. Accidentily one morning while I was pulling bed room curtain aside, the sun hit my eyes. The bright light created a circle shaped image on my retina. The image was constantly moving with pulsating colors. As the color combinations were very powerful and beautiful, I tried to memorize as much as possible. Based on my experience and memory, I created small drawings and / or sketches on my notebook. Afterwards I tried to restore the images as powerful as it was by using digital workflow as a tool. Traditional darkroom techniques did not meet my thoughts at this series.

- I suppose that there is a study behind the choice the colours: what kind of research do you follows?
-There is not particulary that much of color studies considering the series. Of course when I was re-composing the afterimages I tried to achieve as powerful and pulsating result as possible. This is of course based on the relationships between different colors and their intensity in brightness. So, in this sense one can say that there is some amount of color studying.

-What do you want to communicate with this series?
-My act is to focus on what I look at and how I percieve it. I try to use myself as the tool of the reflection by the use of my memory. I also want to get the viewer to be conscious that the beauty can be found close. When looking my work (Afterimage in this case) I hope that the viewer takes time observing it. By this one might look back to one´s own perceptions.

-What will your next work be?
-At this point I am working on few different projects. In all of the projects the combining theme is light. I think some of the up-coming work will, at some degree, will include more three dimensional representation. During the summer I also prepare to do some amount of painting. But the light is still the main key for my work.

Ciao a tutti! Ho una nuova intervista! L’ artista si chiama Mikko Sinervo, vive a Helsinki dove è nato nel 1981. L’intervista si è focalizzata sulla serie di lavori “Afterimages”(Ho postato qui alcune immagini personalmente scelte dall’artista). Questi lavori mi hanno colpita per la combinazione di colori, messi in modo tale che all’inizio mi avevano dato l’impressione di muoversi in cerchio all’interno della tela.

- Da dove viene l’idea della serie?
Tutta la serie è basata sull’immagine lasciata dal sole sulla mia retina. Accidentalmente una mattina, mentre stavo tirando da parte le tende della stanza da letto, la luce del sole mi ha colpito negli occhi. La luminosità della luce ha creato un immagine circolare sulla retina che continuava a muoversi con colori pulsanti. Siccome la combinazione di colori era particolarmente potente e bella, ho cercato di memorizzarla il più possibile. Basandomi sull’esperienza e la memoria, ho così creato piccoli disegni o schizzi sul mio notes, che successivamente ho cercato di ricostruire e di ricreare la stessa intensità con l’utilizzo di un supporto digitale. Poiché le tradizionali tecniche della camera oscura non incontravano le mie esigenze per questa serie.

- Suppongo che ci sia uno studio dietro la scelta dei colori: che tipo di ricerca hai seguito?
In realtà non c’è un particolare studio dei colori per questa serie. Ovviamente quando ho ricostruito le immagini ho cercato di ottenere un risultato che fosse più di impatto possibile. Per ottenerlo ho certamente dovuto tenere conto delle relazioni tra i diversi colori e della loro intensità luminosa. Ma solamente in questo senso si può dire che esiste una sorta di studio dei colori.

- Cosa intende comunicare al pubblico con questa serie?
Il mio lavoro si focalizza su quello che osservo e come lo percepisco, provo a utilizzare me stesso come mezzo di riflessione attraverso l’uso della memoria. Vorrei anche rendere lo spettatore conscio che la bellezza può essere trovata vicina a noi. Quando il pubblico guarda i miei lavori, spero che si prenda tempo per osservarli, in tal modo riesce a risalire alle percezioni dell’artista.

-Quale sarà il tuo prossimo lavoro?
In questo momento sto lavorando a progetti differenti in cui il filo conduttore è la luce . Penso che il prossimo progetto, in qualche modo, includerà rappresentazioni tri-dimensionali. Durante l’estate ho anche programmato di dipingere alcune tele. In ogni caso la luce rimane il principale soggetto dei miei lavori.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...